Yoga for Athletes and Functional Mobility Online Teacher Training
Our Yoga for athletes training combines exercise science with yoga and mindfulness discourses in order to offer an integrative and effective approach for utilizing yoga and mindfulness with athletic populations. This training includes a mix of video lectures, sample practices, and slides.
Many athletes are turning towards yoga, not only to enhance performance but also to create a deeper body-mind connection, balance the effects of prolonged stress from competition and trauma, facilitate healing, and prevent injuries. Unfortunately, however without the proper consideration and sequencing specifically designed for the “athlete body” certain yoga practices may cause more harm than benefits. The Yoga for Athletes course is designed for those interested in teaching yoga to athletes, as well as those working one-on-one therapeutically with performance-focused individuals. We will dissect the various anatomical and psychological considerations for working with athletes of various sports followed by practical application, teaching methodology, and sequencing for specific sports.
Lectures will include:
• A deeper look at the main joints: Shoulders, hips, & spine.
• What is “flexibility” and does it actually enhance performance?
• Improving range of motion by focusing on control, depth, and strength at end range.
• Injuries: what we can do as teachers to facilitate healing and what we should avoid.
• Muscle imbalances: We often think of dysfunction only in terms of tightness, however, dysfunction is often a result of weakness in specific muscle groups, causing surrounding muscles to overwork.
• Specific considerations when working with athletes include: under and overdevelopment in certain muscle groups, sport specificity, injuries, stress, predisposition to ignore pain, and a competitive mindset.
• Sports Psychology- Sympathetic vs Parasympathetic response, utilizing pranayama and meditation to enhance focus, create balance and grace under pressure.
• Facilitating Relaxation: Rest is the most overlooked component of performance, however, the harder you are on anything the faster it breaks down. Learn ways to guide relaxation and enhance rest and digest.
• Effective Sequencing for specific sports
• Working one on one
Michele Theoret has 20 year’s experience working in the health and fitness industry in Yoga, personal training, athletic conditioning, psychology, and “whole” istic medicine (nutrition, movement, and lifestyle). She has studied anatomy, physiology, biomechanics, nutrition, sports medicine, psychology, and biochemistry receiving her BSc in Exercise Science, MS in Natural Health Sciences and MA in counseling psychology. Michele opened a Yoga and Fitness studio in 2003, where she created and facilitated Yoga, indoor cycling, strength training, nutrition, and lifestyle programs. During this time Michele was also the strength and conditioning coach, yoga teacher, and nutrition coach for 14 minor and elite hockey teams and worked one on one with professional athletes and weekend warriors in various sports. Michele has continued to study movement and holistic medicine for the last decade including Yoga, Myofascial release, Anatomy Trains, Ayurveda, TCM, and psychology. She is a perpetual student of human experience and a body nerd. Michele is inspired to combine her understanding of the human mind and its potential for change.
sign up for the
EmpoweredU mailing list
For updates on new classes, modules, online courses, retreats and more!